Friday, August 20, 2010

Bringing my daughter up to be proud of her red hair?

My daughter is a beautiful red-head, and while I'm very proud of this, I know she will have to deal with some bullies in the future.


Her Daddy is a red-head but he dyes it black, so not setting a great example to be proud of her hair colour there lol.





I don't really know how to go about making her proud of her hair instead of hating it. I had blonde, then mousey brown hair as a child, I was bullied for my teeth at one point when my braces went wrong and made my front two teeth stick out further. This has now been fixed.





Any tips for Red-heads or Parents of Red-heads would be great :)


(She's obv too young to understand but I'm just looking for ideas i can work on)Bringing my daughter up to be proud of her red hair?
i have red hair and have never been bullied for it. i think you're imagining something that may never even be an issue.





she will undoubtedly have her challenges in life but there's no reason to think her hair will be among them. actually it never ceases to astonish me how many people dye their hair to make it look red when it didn't start that way. clearly not everyone thinks it's a negative.Bringing my daughter up to be proud of her red hair?
I have never once been teased because of my red hair. I find it odd that people would pick on someone because of their hair color. My daughter is a red head (as I am, obviously) and I am going to teach her to be proud of who she is, red hair and all.





ETA~ Maybe it is different here in the states in terms of bullying kids about red hair? I hear more about it going on over-seas.
You're mad! Every boy in the world will find it beautiful, and every girl in the world will envy it. Everybody loves redheads, it's the most beautiful color in the world for hair. My husband is a redhead and I am expecting a daughter, I'd give SERIOUS money for her to be a redhead too, but sadly the odds are against it. Teach her to live it up and show it off, it's a rare gift of the genes and she should treasure it!
hm... I don't have any tips but just wanted to comment because my niece has red hair and HAS been bullied about it. She is only 6 years old and has lots of freckles and red hair and gets teased about it fairly often. She hates her hair, and my brother-in law and sister-in law don't know what to do about it. We all (the whole family) tell her how beautiful she is and how we LOVE her hair and wish we (the women anyway) had hair like hers, but she doesn't believe it. We just hope she will grow to realize how lucky she is one day and truly appreciate it. Kids can and will be mean. They will find anything and everything they can to tease other children about. All we can do is assure our kids that they are normal and that the bullies are the ones with the issues. All will work itself out in time.
I have also never heard of redheads being teased about their hair. Usually when I hear people talking about them, it's because of their gorgeous red hair. Redheads are typically pretty uncommon and are generally gorgeous.





Granted kids can tease about anything and everything, and will, I doubt her hair will be a problem. But Daddy dying his hair because it's red, that might be a bigger issue than any child's teasing. If she is a daddy's girl through and through, she'll be wondering why he is ashamed of his hair and should she be as well.
i think it's inevitable. my son is 5 and has the reddest hair ever. has since birth. he hasn't had to deal with bullies yet BUT he hates when little old ladies come up to him in the store and touch his head and say how they just love his hair. this happens almost everytime we are in public. he gets so angry. one day he even snapped and in a rude tone said please don't touch me again have you ever heard of stranger danger, i will report you LMAO!! he's a trip. luckily he has nor freckles yet and shows no sign of them so we'll see how that goes. she'll hate it for awhile but when she gets older i'm sure she'll love it. i dye my hair red half the time. it is truly a pretty color.
You may be worried over nothing but if it does come up in the future, show her the movie ';The Little Mermaid';. Ariel has red hair and she's a princess.
  • tvs
  • skin cancer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment