Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Younger Sister Moved in and is Having Issues- How to Deal With It?

My nine year old sister moved in with me just over a month ago after her step-mom passed away (our Dad died when she was six). We've always had a good relationship, and when she found out she'd be staying with me, she was actually excited about it. But now that she's here, she's been completely out of control. Her mom and dad used to be strict with her, but once Dad died and her mom was diagnosed with cancer, she started acting up. Now that she is living with me, she's really causing problems.


I understand that she's in lots of pain and is probably acting up for attention. But the thing is, I'm giving her attention. This is my first year as an official doctor, and I'm already taking loads of time off to be with her. She was not at all this torn up after her dad died, and while I know this is different, she's acting unreasonable. She has a counselor to talk to, and all her teachers know the situation. Even then, my secretary gets calls all the time from the school saying she's done something worthy of me being notified.


It's not just at school either. She's not even a teenager and she mouths off to me all the time. I'll ask her a simple question and she'll swear and lie and not behave approprietly. I had some of my medical friends over a week ago for supper. When I asked her (politely) to fetch something for one of them, she swore and ran to her room, slamming the door.


I know some of this is grief, but I really do feel she needs to be punished. The problem is, I'm only her 28 year-old brother (oh, yeah, btw, I'm using a friedn's account- my name isn't Nora!). Her parents used to spank her (not abusively), and that worked. I don't think sending her to her room would be appropriate since she hides in there anyways. I won't let her have a tv in her room, so i can't take that away. I don't want to make her more miserable- I just want to show her that I'm in charge and I love her. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How should I handle it?





Miles (Not Nora- haha)Younger Sister Moved in and is Having Issues- How to Deal With It?
Sit Her Down One Day And Talk To Her Trust ME She'll Understand Shes Only Acting Like This Cause She Knows Your All Nice And You Want Do Anything To Her And That You Don't Wanna Be Mean To Her Your Gonna Have To Start Span-kin Her A Lil If She Don't Stop After You Talk To Her Be Nicer If The Talk Works If She Does Something Bad In School Sit Down And Tell Her How Important Her Education Is And Tell Her To Promise you She Wont Do It Again . Trust Me I Know Ive Seen Something Like It Before .


HOPE I HELPED!%26lt;33Younger Sister Moved in and is Having Issues- How to Deal With It?
Unfortunately you are now the supervising adult, which means that despite being siblings, you will have to act as a parent. There's a diciplinary power vacuum in her life and you will have to fill it or she'll simply try to self manage.





She has no where to put her anger and grief and is too young to manage it properly. This girl needs an outlet. Is she taking any after school activities? Is there anything she's really interested in like art, music, sports, etc? Maybe if she has something just her own that she can work on and vent with, she'll restablize.

No comments:

Post a Comment