Friday, August 20, 2010

People with social anxiety disorder - how to do you manage?

I feel like my anxiety is getting a lot worse. I also have depression (possibly it is bipolar). I'm 19 and I don't feel like doing anything anymore. I am on my gap year and will be starting uni in October (which I am dreading). I've been looking for a job for over a year, but the sort of work I look for is limited, because I hate having to deal with people. So I mainly look for cleaning. I am on job seekers allowance but only for a few weeks longer. Since last summer I've been working at a charity shop twice a week, but lately I've been finding it a whole lot harder to cope with. Last week I drank a bit of alcohol because I was so scared, but it didn't even help. I used to be able to be sort of fake and act all sweet around the people I work with, but now when they ask me to do tasks that make me feel like they treat me like their slave, I can't hide my attitude on my face, and I'm less willing to try and engage with them. I've got work tomorrow and I'm so scared, I might say I can't make it..





A couple of weeks ago also, I went to my boyfriend's house and I was so nervous about meeting his mum that I drank some vodka. It helped a tiny bit, but I could still not talk to her. I drank some more when he took me to meet one of his friends yet it did not help at all, I barely could speak to his friend and I probably came across as rude. When we left his friend I was just crying because it feel so futile, whatever I do.People with social anxiety disorder - how to do you manage?
I have it, and I hardly manage. You're lucky you have a boyfriend though! I've never had a boyfriend because my social anxiety is so bad. But yeah, I can relate a bit to your situation. I graduated school back in December and still haven't looked for a job because I'm terrified of the whole thing. There's no possible way I can come off as charismatic and likable in an interview. I remember I dreaded college when I started too. The first week or so was fine because I was on an anti-depressant, but it stopped working and I was back to being scared and miserable. My hair thinned a lot that year because I was under so much stress. And whenever I had to give an oral presentation throughout school, I would drink vodka beforehand or else I physically could not give a presentation. I'm currently just trying to get some medications that might help me more than the stuff I've been put on recently. Until then however, I just don't think I'll be able to get the courage to look for a job. Just be grateful that you have a job for now, and do your best at it. Getting on some medication might help you; you just have to find what works for you. I can't really offer that much advice because I'm still trying to figure it all out myself, but I hope my situation has shown you that you're not alone! :)People with social anxiety disorder - how to do you manage?
You need to see a therapist or psychiatrist. Do it soon. The longer you leave it the more vunerable you are to mental disorders, eating disorder, drug/alcahol addictions and even suicide.
You need to get a proper diagnosis. Then you need to take the right medication. It;s daft to start drinking - you need to get to grips with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment