Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to convince my mum....?

No, this isn't a ';how do i get mummy to buy me a horsey'; question.





Im trying to find a share horse, and i have put up lots of adverts, and been looking for about a month. I have had 3 people contact me, I went and met one person (with my mum of course) and we decided that it wasn't a good one for me, and I have told my mum about one other one which is about a 20-25 minute drive from my house, and she said she'd think about it, but she said it will probably only work if I can find something REALLY close to us, like a 10-15 minute drive. But there ARE no areas near us that are even feilds, let alone ones that have horses looking for a sharer. The other person I have just got a message from, and my mum does not know about yet (because she's asleep lol) and its 20 minutes from us.





How can I get her to see that there are none closer to us, and that it would be REALLY beneficial for me to find one?





Im 14 by the wayHow to convince my mum....?
Tell your mom that doing this would make you happy and its really important to you. Things you do want to check that may help are if the owners of the stable or horse would cut the cost of the horse or board down if you did some work, like cleaning the stalls or feeding. You do want to make sure the place you would be sharing the horse at is a safe place for you and the horse. Something you will learn when you make money and pay for gas is that it isn't cheap and neither is horse back riding so your mom just doesn't want to spend a billion dollars in a day. But one again tell her its important and you really would like to do this. I hope I helpedHow to convince my mum....?
Think about it from her side of the view. Your under age so a job and your own transport is out of the question. She'll have to pay for anything needed for the horse as well as petrol to transport you back and forth. Even though you'll only be a sharer, a horse is still a pretty big responsibility and very costly, I know that too well with the amount of horses I've loaned in the past year!





However, tell her about the advantages of involving yourself around a horse, like you said, you want her to see why it would be beneficial for you.





-They teach you responsibility


-They learn you that great things come with hard work, that you won't get what you want straight off the plate, you have to work for it


-They prepare you to respect and be grateful for what you have.


-Horse riding is a great way to exercise and takes you off the streets and out of trouble.


-They're scientifically proven to be a great source in improving behaviour in adolescents


-They learn you to respect money, it may sound stupid, but it goes to show, horses are costly and you have to sacrifice things you want for them. A bit like what you may come across in the future!





Obviously you've set your heart on this, and you know what you want, given you've been putting up adverts and looking for a month. Many of people give up after a week, so obviously your committed - it's a start, this should show your mum that your prepared to do what it takes.





Explain to your mum about how you feel about this, your opinions should matter in this, but ensure you understand what hers are too. Your mum should realise that things you want aren't always in a specific area, you need to broaden your horizon to get more accomplished. The only way you'll really get her to understand is if you both go and see the other 2 horses, you won't get anywhere by necessarily talking. Explain to her you've been searching for about a month, and have only recieved replies a little further out than your area. With nobody contacting you within your mums distance limit, this should say something.





Try compromising, like doing extra chores or working harder at school etc, in return for a horse, (obviously one that meets both your needs, you to feel safe and comfortable on, and one that will ensure your mum that it is beneficial to you!)





Hope this helps!





Nicole-Louise x
dont
Show her your serious about riding.


1 it teaches responsibility


2 it can help get you in shape


3 it keeps you occupied and out of trouble


4 tell her there are no other sharers 10-15 minutes and ask her nicely to consider a sharer alittle farther away.





I know why she wants a closer one and I understand, just try to find benefits about sharing a horse.


ALSO don't be smart about it be respectful and show her your responible enough to do this.





Im just alittle older than you and i know what your going through, i just got a horse but it is going to take TONS of work to even ride it, Just show her your responsible, and i know it helped me loss weight and build up my legs muscles. I REALLY hope you get to share a horse. the best of wishes





check out my question to please http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AveqRTI30r894lkBzB53RpLty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100424130949AAYSztk thanks
The best way is to sit her down and explain that there are no places closer, and that you would work your time down at the barn around the horse around her schedule. I had to do this with my father when I was first starting lessons. He wanted to know if there was a barn closer and I told him, dad even if I decide I want to do western instead of english, the closet western barn is, oh, still 20 minutes away...in the other direction. He eventually listened to reason. Another thing is to make your mom drive around, and look and see exactly how many horses there are close to you, and then explain most people don't look for sharers, they only want a horse to themselves.





For the beneficial part, explain to her what you want to get out of a horse. My mom see's me riding as an expensive hobby(even though I only ride at a lesson barn, so I don't own my own horse) but after seeing about how I tactfully take my allowance and put it towards riding(she started buying my clothes and stuff again, she's making me pay so I have to work to stay in it,not so she can put money towards it and me be like ';whatever';), she said when I can afford to buy my own horse and board it, I can possibly board it at a stable about 30-40 minutes away from my house because the facility's are by our area's standards, are HUGE! It's also cheaper then the other high-end barn's which I have yet to visit, but plan to next time they hold an open event. It's showing her that this is something I REALLY want to do, not just something I am doing because I can, but I'm doing it because it makes me happy, and I'm willing to pass up things that I want(from lack of allowance) to stay with it. I am proving to her that I am responsible enough to do this, and for my mother, that's the world.





Another thing to do is try to negotiate. Like, mom if you will come with me to just view X horse then I will vacuum and dust the horse for a week, and if you come with me to go see the other one, I'll wash clothes!
tell her more about the horse and what your going to do with it. and if your are going to pay for all the stuff he needs like bridles, bits, saddles, saddle pads, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment