Friday, August 20, 2010

How to cope with a cheap parent.?

My mom is cheap. But not just the normal clip-a-coupon-every-one-in-a-while cheap. She is fully overboard. First, i want to start off saying that i get good grades. I am a good kid who doesn't do drugs or skip school. I help out around the house, yet when i ask my mom to get me something, like a pair of jeans, she gets annoyed. She took me school clothes shopping at the beginning of the year and gave me 150 dollars for the ENTIRE year. I tried explaining to her that that is simply not enough money, but she didn't listen. She taken me a few times to get necesiities since then like underwear, and another pair of jeans. But most of my clothes i buy on my own!! And for Christmas last year, i got a 30$ radio and a few other small gifts...? And when i went through all of my stuff in my room and got rid of it, she said she would sell some of it on craigslist. i agreed. Then, once she sold it, she told me that she was taking a 10% cut! What i don't understand is that my parents make GOOD money. Like over 100,000 a year. Then she told me that if i went out and found anyone else to sell those for me they would ask for the same. But she offered!! Plus, shes my mom! i shouldn't have to pay her when she offers to do something for me! Right? I'm really not trying to be a whiney teenager, because honestly im not. I have always been the most responsible child in my family, even next to my almost seventeen year old sister. I'm 14 by the way. She dropped out of highschool and does online school now! I take piano lessons and do sports. I help out around the house... I need new clothes and i can't convince my mom to get me some that aren't from Ross! Not that their clothes are bad...but have a better selection for summer shopping. She thinks that 30$ iis WAY to much for a pair of jeans. But i literally cant find any clothes anywhere that are cheaper than that and that fit me...what do i do?? By the way, my mom just spent 150 on a japanese slot machine for herself!!! WTF?!?!How to cope with a cheap parent.?
First of all, how do you know she makes that much? Did she tell you? I don't know where you live but here in the US the economy is cutting back because of gas prices and such. Also your lucky when I was a kid I got hand-me-downs for school clothing. My family was well to do as well but we still save money for future use or just in case. The only time I EVER went school clothes shopping was when the school I went to gave my mother money so we could buy clothes at walmart and let me tell you, the pants I bought lasted only 1 year! I never have changed size but they collapsed on me and I had to throw them. Now the $55 hottopic jeans lasted even less. 6 months because I became pregnant and even afterward I can't fit into them. Your mom isn't going to pay oodles of money on clothes that are only going to last a year.


You also have to think as to what bills go out. Water, Electric, food, trash, house, car, house items, personal items, medical bills ect. There's a lot and it's not cheap. So even if your family makes a lot it doesn't matter if it all goes out when they get paid. Go get a job if your not happy.How to cope with a cheap parent.?
I did not read lazy into that post at all, she said she plays piano and is in sports and helps out around the house and keeps her grade up. That is a pretty full schedule in itself. I do have to point out that piano lessons and sports cost a lot of money as well, so she is not cheap in those areas. Maybe ask her what you could do around the house to earn extra money. Ask neighbors if you could mow their lawns. I also do not agree with her taking 10%, that is just weird in my opinion. I would never take a percentage of something my child was trying to sell. Do you ever shop thrift stores? You can find really cute clothes for cheap. But you have to go often and sort through all of it.
The odds are excellent that she thinks she's doing you a wonderful favour, teaching you the value of a dollar and inspiring you to work and teaching you about thrift yadda yadda yadda...





However, I am aware of how that 'lesson' works out when the parents are not pinching pennies themselves. It sucks.





I would have a serious talk with her: tell her you're not looking for big wads of cash to go out and blow, just: Mom, I'm having a hard time here, I'm trying to budget, I'm looking for a job, but, right now, I need you to help me out a bit more... Point out that it is, as she knows, nice to have something that is nice every once in a while. Do keep asking her to take you shopping, so you can show her that there aren't many decent, durable jeans out there for under $30.





And then, since you are in that sort of $150-for-the-year screw-over -- seriously, start checking out thrift shops. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of jeans at the Gap for $90, only to find them for $10 in a thrift store a month later -- my size and everything. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Value Village, whatever you have in your area -- check it out.
Honestly, that doesn't sound that bad. Ok I must admit the 10% cut and the $150 Japanese slot machine is pretty hilarious! Just try to find less expensive clothes, shop the sales lol. Or buy a few quality items that will last at the beginning of the year with the 150. Maybe you could do some extra work to earn extra cash? Or get a job? hehe
Go door to door asking for odd jobs and make your money. The only thing worse then cheap is laziness.
Well..when you make your own money-you get to spend it however you like. So-maybe you should look into getting a job. Babysitting,dog walking. Even volunteer work-it's something you can put on your resume when you turn 16 and start looking for real jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment